An AED is an Automated External Defibrillator. It is a portable, simple to use, computerised device that can be used by anyone when someone suffers a sudden cardiac arrest to deliver a shock to the heart to allow it to resume its normal beating.
A cardiac arrest is a sudden loss of heart function which causes a person to suddenly collapse. When this happens the person will not respond and will not be breathing normally (either only gasping or not breathing at all). This sudden collapse is caused because the heart’s electrical system has malfunctioned, and without immediate CPR and defibrillation the person will not survive.
An AED can be used in such a situation to analyse the heart’s rhythm and it will automatically recognise if there is a life threatening rhythm that it can shock to stun the heart, allowing it to restore its normal electrical and pumping functions.
The original Defibtech AED includes all mission critical features necessary to provide the most advanced treatment for sudden cardiac arrest. It is so simple and un-intimidating to use that even non-medical personnel can effectively save lives.
- Lightweight, fully integrated design with no lids or moving parts that would confuse or delay a rescue; a roomy handle big enough even for gloved hands, and rubberized surfaces to ensure a sure grip in an emergency.
- The actively illuminated status indicator shows unit readiness, to ensure that the unit is ready to perform anytime, every time.
- “Locate the AED!” Time is of the essence in a rescue. The highly visible yellow color makes the unit easy to locate and deploy
- Extremely durable; manufactured to withstand dust and water ingress; tested to military standards for shock and vibration; jet aircraft and helicopter tested
- As protocols change over time, your unit can be upgraded in the field simply by inserting a data card.
- Data from the unit is recorded and easily retrieved from the device using a data card.
- Simple, clear and straightforward: there are only two-buttons on the unit, a green button to turn the unit on and a red one to shock the patient, if needed. The Lifeline AED: simple and intuitive.
- Two long life batteries are available: a 5 year battery that will deliver 125 shocks or work continuously for 8 hours or a 7 year battery, unique in the industry, which will deliver 300 shocks or work continuously for 16 hours.
- Compact, portable and lightweight the Lifeline AED has won numerous awards for design and innovation. It was even displayed at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City as an example of innovative design!
- The Lifeline AED uses biphasic technology, a clinically proven waveform and algorithm to deliver shocks and save lives. This is one of the most widely used impedance compensated waveforms which has extensive clinical experience-and success-in thousands of defibrillators around the world. Evaluation in hundreds of publications has demonstrated this technology to be the safest and most effective when it comes to saving lives.