Basic First Aid Training Course
This course is referred to as Basic First Aid or Emergency First Aid.
This course covers a comprehensive range of topics to prepare participants to administer emergency first aid care. The onsite course can be adapted to emphasize dealing with accidents that happen in their workplace.
Please note: this course does not meet a company’s occupational first aid requirements. However, this course is suitable for a company which due to having a low level of risk, does not require their first aiders to be trained to the level outlined in the occupational first aid requirements. This course is also popular with companies who have met their occupational first aid requirement, and wish to have basic first aiders to provide support to the first aid responder in the event of an incident.
Available as an Onsite Course
Available as a Public Course
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Display skills and knowledge related to the delivery of basic first aid and dealing with emergencies until the arrival of qualified medical personnel.
- Display the requisite personal skills including: composure, competence and self-confidence, while understanding their limitations.
- Provide basic first aid in the workplace and other environments, including: home and recreational settings.
- Calling for assistance from the first aid responder or the emergency medical services.
- Provide support to the first aid responder.
- Cardiac emergencies: heart attack and stroke
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Using an automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Scene management and patient assessment
- Impaired responsiveness and the unconsciousness patient
- Recovery position
- Airway obstruction and choking
- Bleeding and wounds
- Control of spinal injuries, fractures and dislocations
- Sprain and strains
- Soft tissue injuries
- Burns and electrical injuries
- Respiration emergencies
- Common conditions: epilepsy, asthma, diabetes, allergic reactions, and poisons
Public Basic First Aid training sessions are usually 1-day in duration, but the duration can vary.
Course Entry Requirements
There are no special entry requirements for participants associated with this course.
There are no special site requirements associated with this course.
Public Course Dates
Summary Of Assessments
This blog post discusses options regarding the delivery of first aid training during COVID-19.
Do you know where the closest Defibrillator is to your workplace? During an incident time is of the essence, make sure you know where to find this lifesaving equipment.
Guidelines on what should be included in your workplace first aid kit.
Text Books Provided
Basic First Aid Courses